Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Law of Kindness

In the beautiful 31st chapter of Proverbs a virtuous woman is described. It says, "in her tongue is the law of kindness." For the past two weeks I've been trying to follow this ideal. Unfortunately, most often in my tongue is the law of demands and anger. However, as I have focused on this phrase and prayed for help I have been softened. When I feel frustrated with my family or start to react with yelling I picture this gentle woman pausing. She then slowly and kindly proceeds to listen, understand, counsel, and guide. This image has helped me to stop and reflect on my ideals before I react. I still have blown it royally several times in the last two weeks. But even then, this scripture has helped me to regain control, apologize, and do better the next time around. I'm so grateful for the scriptures and the gentle reminders that Heavenly Father sends me through the Holy Ghost.