Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sleeping with Little Ones

Today we drove over to Logan in the rain. The colors are dark and rich. I love the rain! I love that I can't mow or weed in the rain. I took the six youngest kids into Wal-Mart. We picked up a crib bumper I ordered on-line. Hopefully, it will help Tank sleep through the night. He was getting to small for his newborn crib and always getting caught between the bars. Benjamin and I lined the toddler crib for him with the bumper. Now he is upstairs crying himself to sleep. He has been getting up every hour almost every night to nurse. After six months of this I'm tired and rather annoyed with it. Letting him cry it out doesn't bother me as long as he is safe, healthy, and comfortable. I would let babies cry it out on the first night if I could. But my babies always fill their diapers all through the night until they are about two months. Once they only have bowel movements in the day is a great time to train them to sleep through the night. However, it seems a cold or teething can torpedo that plan. So can not having a crib that is comfortable and safe. Oh, so can having a husband that doesn't let them cry it out. But it has to be done. They will have to be trained the same way at two years old as two months, so get it over with as soon as possible. Jaremy is at Girl's Camp with Jessica tonight, so that obstacle is also out of the way. Tank's crib is now in the boy's room, so they will have to sleep out in the recreation room for a few nights until he is trained to sleep through the night. They love any excuse not to sleep in their beds. Ella was moved out of the toddler crib to the girl's room. She will share the bottom bunk with Natalie for now. Sometimes letting a baby cry it out can be really heart wrenching. However, I have to remind myself it is for the best. It really helps them sleep soundly, be healthier, and helps me do the same. And if I'm energetic, healthy, and clear-headed the whole family and house runs much better. Now and then I go up and sneak in to check on Teancum to make sure he is safe, but I don't let him know I'm present. I also time his crying. I've read no child will cry over 45 minutes at a time when crying it out. Most all my kids cry for an hour to an hour and a half for the first two times. That can seem like eternity. But I've found no other way that really works. And this system is tried and true. In a couple of days Teancum will be on a perfect nap and night sleeping schedule if I am disciplined and let him cry it out every time he goes for a nap or when he wakes up in the night.

This system also works for temper tantrums in most children. Usually it only takes two or three times of letting them cry it out in a safe place they can't leave (locked bedroom, crib [if they can't climb out]). We used to use a landing on the top of the stairs in Paradise because you could lock them on it. Whatever is safe and secure. Then just let them throw their fit. It might last an hour and a half. They will probably cry themselves to sleep, but don't let them out for all their begging and screaming until they are perfectly quiet for 60 seconds. Count it! Because if they start their fit again you can't let them out. If they start crying and acting up after they have been let out you have to start all over again every time they throw a tantrum. It's a pain in the neck. Sometimes it breaks your heart. However, it teaches them acceptable behavior and self-discipline. And like I say most of the time it only takes two or three times until they don't throw fits. However, Ella has been an exception. She has thrown fits for months. She would have several tantrums a day and have to cry it out. But we haven't been as consistent with her simply because their are so many adults living here right now and they all deal with here differently. So she has had a unique situation. Gratefully, she is out-growing her tantrums and is getting more able to communicate in positive ways everyday. She is almost three and that really helps.
Well, Tank is sputtering to a stop now. He is practically asleep now, but whimpers now and again. Soon he will be completely out. And in a few days he will be completely trained. Unfortunately, if sickness, teething, or schedule interruption interferes with any of this, we have to start all over again. Usually I have to train a baby to sleep through the night a few times in the first year. But after that it's smooth sailing!